Saturday 12 November 2016

My first week at Sangam 05.11.16 - 11.11.16

Saturday 5th
Arrived

Sunday 6th
This was my first full day at Sangam. After breakfast we (the other Tare and I) had a welcome meeting, got taken on a tour of Sangam, given our uniform and badge. After lunch we participated in talks with some locals - asking questions about their life in India. For the evening we where all invited to different local houses for dinner, because there is a group of people here on a programme we had many people to mingle with. I got invited to Priya's house with Olive (87) and Lucille (from Kings Lynn). Priya works at Sangam and we walked down the road to her house and meet her grandma, mum and auntie. We had a lovely time there looking at photos of Priya's family and dinner was delicious but we had to eat rice with our hands and sit on the floor. Priya did Mehendi on my hand and arm too then at the end we gave a gift to them for having us for dinner.



Monday 7th
Today with the big group we visited 2 Temples, a school for the blind and a centre for woman to learn skills and sell there  crafts. The ladies cooked us lunch there and sold us some things...I brought some biscuits and cards. I tested out the pool today at Sangam and then for dinner we had a 50th Birthday celebration dinner and afterwards went around and spoke with different staff to hear about their time at Sangam.



Tuesday 8th
Stacey, Emer and I visited all our sites today so we could see where each of us will be based. First we visited Maher, this is where Emer is volunteering, it supports abandoned children, the elderly and mental health in men and women. Next we visited Tara Mobile Creche, Stacey has been placed here, this is an organisation that sets up pop-up creches where they are needed for children of workers from construction sites. After finding some very local place for lunch we where off to visit my site, Bal Kaylan Sanshta (BKS), this is a centre for special needs; different schools come each day to use the facilities. This was the last evening for the group so they dressed up in their saris and for dinner we had a Maharastrian feast. We all sat on the floor with a banana leaf plate and got served lots of lovely food. Afterwards we learnt an Indian dance with sticks. This was so much fun, I was dancing around in circles and got a bit dizzy!




Wednesday 9th
I got up early to climb the water town his morning. It was lovely to look down on Sangam but the air was very smokey.




This was the day that the Indian government announced that 500 and 1,000 rupee notes were no longer legal currency. All banks and ATM's were closed all day and the whole country seemed to go into panic mode. They will be replacing the 500 note with a new smaller one and a new 2,000 note will be issued instead of 1,000 note. I'm not sure what they are thinking...it's bad enough getting change for 1,000 rupees let along 2,000!
Today I had my first Hindi lesson, we learnt some simple useful words; thank you, sorry...etc and to ask questions like what is your name? I spent the rest of the day coming up with ideas for games and activities to do at my site. This was a busy day for the staff as they were preparing for the OBPS (Olive Baden Pow Society) event.

Thursday 10th
This was my first day at my site (BKS), as the children where on Diwali holiday, I spent the day painting the musical tree in the sensory garden. On returning to Sangam us Tare were given the Wadi challenge - this was to explore the local area and to find certain shops and items, we had to get the bus back too!

Before I painted the tree

Friday 11th
My second day on site was spent finishing printing the tree, then teaching a dance class to deaf and dumb children. They seemed to really enjoy the session. After lunch it helped out in the art room and made giant flowers. There is going to be a big celebration and show on the 3rd of December so it will be busy preparing for that; the flowers are being used for the set on stage. To get to and from my site each day I have to take a tuk-tuk, in the morning I have to go over and get one from the stand and then just flag one down on the way home.  I spent the evening just chilling with the SV's  (Sangam Vounteers).

After I had panted the tree

No comments:

Post a Comment