Saturday 26 November 2016

Week 3 at Sangam 19.11.16 - 25.11.16

Saturday 19th
Stacey and I went to explore some more of Pune. First we visited Pataleshwar Cave Temple, it was so peaceful there. The cave had been carved into the rock, it was dark and cool and on the walls were some carvings. Ding, ding,  ding , bang, bang, bang came from the Temple above; people drumming and ringing bells as a some kind of ritual to the gods. We found some Dosas for lunch; it looks like a big very thin cripsy pancake but it is made from rice flower and dal. We then found a shop which sell local hand-made Indian crafts but I preferred going to local markets instead. I booked in for a massage but it was not was I was expecting and didn't feel very relaxed afterwards...first she started off by pulling all my limbs and pulled my legs up and folded me in half, she spent ages on my ankles and legs which did not sort out my aching back.


Sunday 20th
I had quite a lazy day except we had to move rooms...so I had to pack my bag and move across the courtyard from the oven of Guide house 3 to the fridge of dorm 1. The winter has set in, hot still in the days but chilly in the mornings and colder nights so I have 2 blankets on the bed.

Monday 21st
6th day on site...again I spent some time teaching deaf children some new games, they enjoyed running around trying to chase each other. This was not really an exciting day, when I returned to Sangam it was just spent getting activities ready for site.

Tuesday 22nd
7th day on site...today I started off teaching origami to mentally challenged children then the dance teachers and I did some bollywood and ballet with them. In the afternoon  I taught them a new game called hot potato (a bit like pass the parcel but if the ball stops on you your out of the game)...they loved this game and just wanted to play it again and again all afternoon. Getting back to Sangam I was thrown into a private dance sessions with Govan...this was a new style for me it was a fusion of belly dancing with hip hop.

Wednesday 23rd
In our Hindi lesson today we learnt about fruit and vegetables and colours Athens how to ask for a kilo of food at a market. For lunch we had to get dressed up in out saris as we were off to a wedding. This was such a great thing to experience...when we arrived we sat down and got given a handful of coloured rice. The Goom walked down the aisle with his flower veil and his family then the Bride the same. Through the out the blessing everybody threw the rice then it was time to eat. In the afternoon we had a session with Becky and got given some tasks to complete and then it was time for my next dance lesson. In the evening me and Josilyn watched a French film before bed.


Thursday 24th
8th day at site...waited and waited and waited, finally some children arrived at B.K.S. I made boxes with the deaf children and over lunch they spread the word so I continued that in the afternoon, they loved making these. YEAH! They had money I  the cash point over the road, it took 20 minutes to queue but I finally had a small amount of money. Before dinner Stacey, Emer and I all had a Warli art session learning about an Indian tribal artwork.  It was very interesting to learn about and make our own scene. They had no perspective on things so it didn't matter how big or small they drew the paintings in that scene.

Friday 25th
Again my site was closed today due to a public holiday so I went along with Emer to Maher. I got to visit the mens house but most of them were out working so it was just a quick stop before we went down to the main house. I took another tour around and stopped off in the craft room and helped the woman make angels. The children that reside there also had the day off school so I spent most of the day entertaining them...in the afternoon we sat down under a tree and made boxes from paper and then it was colouring time, they love colouring. In the evening Stacey, Emer and I went out to an Italian restaurant called Dario's; such delicious food - definitely worth a visit if you want a change from Indian food. On the way there I even walked on a path, a real path with bushes a log the side, I think this is the first path I have walked on in India. It was such a lovely evening and I felt that I had escaped Indian for a few hours.



No comments:

Post a Comment