Saturday 19 November 2016

Week 2 at Sangam 12.11.16 - 18.11.16

Saturday 12th
Weekends are my days off. This Saturday I went down in to Wadi again with Stacey and Emer. This time we took more time to relax and wonder around than when we were rushing in the challenge on Thursday. We did do some material shopping for Saris then took it across to AJ the taylor for measurements. I was now so excited to see what it would be like when it was finished. I was in a singing mood in the evening so it was on with Mama Mia.

Sunday 13th

What an interesting day this turned out to be! I spent most of the day relaxing at Sangam while people were arriving for the OBPS event (Olive Baden Powell Society). As they were arriving there were many activities to do so I got to drive a tuk-tuk,  brought some things from stalls and played an Indian game. It was drinks and canapés before we had our welcome ceremony. As this we are huge event we had to have our ceremony in the field on the stage instead of in the hall. Royalty got welcomed first - Princess Benedikte and Princess Azizah. Then we were all welcomed with a tilak (red dot on forehead), garland, our 50th birthday pin and a piece of coconut and sugar. Then we had to go and light a candle. Afterwards we were singing songs around the campfire.



Monday 14th
Today my site was closed due to a public holiday. So I went with Stacey to her site at Tara Mobile Creche. I spent the morning with the 3 to 6 year olds, we taught them a new game and made shape pictures. The children go home for lunch so when they returned I spent the afternoon with the 6 to 15 year olds playing some new games. Stacey and I went over to the construction site to watch the children put a performance to their parents. On our way back to Sangam we stopped of at AJ's to collect our saris to quickly change into them for an evening at Sanskruti, the bus was late picking us up and then it took 3 hours to get there with the traffic. Don't worry we arrived just in time for the birthday cake cutting - which was so delicious! After dinner we spent the night dancing away in our saris; I even got asked if I was Indian.



Tuesday 15th
3rd day at site...I took a dance sessions again with deaf children and played puzzles in the afternoon. A girl asked me to help her with this hard puzzle and she was so happy when we had finished it together. During my day we had a visit from some of the members from OBPS I went to talk to them about my short time thee already and then they took a tour around to see the children hard a work. We got pizza take out because there was a big gala dinner for OBPS, which we then had to get ready quickly and got there in time for dessert, I was sat at Princess Azizah's relatives table. There were  presentations, one being the presence to of OBPS getting a knight hood from the Princess if Denmark and to finish the night off we danced.


Wednesday 16th
Has our 2nd Hindi lesson in the morning followed by a meeting and then a 2nd challenge. This was the Pune challenge we has to visit different sights around Pune and answer questions about the area or place. We did very well at this and only missed out 2 answers.

Thursday 17th
4th day at site...I tried to have a conversation with the deaf teachers in the morning and they were asking me where I was from, where I was staying and if I liked cricket. With the children I did some origami, friendship bracelets and played some outside games. In the evening we had a special dinner as Lisa was leaving her post at Sangam soon, it was a pink flamingo party and we had to wear pink and all items at the party were pink!

Friday  18th
5th day at site...one of the deaf teachers taught me how to make rose flowers and when the schools arrived I had mainly boys that are mental challenged, they had so much energy! As they had a lot of energy I played lots of ball games with them but one boy took a shine to my bag of games and decided to fill his pockets with my bits and bobs. I managed to gain it all back and then her left the classroom and came back with stuffed pockets filled with things from around the school. I was so excited to be going out to the cinema this evening to watch Fantastic beasts and where to find them. Nelly,  Carly, Stacey, Emer, Karlia and I were disappointed that it just didn't happen...still really want to see the film. We got back to Sangam and watched a bollywood film instead called Ki & Ka.


No comments:

Post a Comment