Wednesday 27 December 2017

Christmas in Brisbane 2017

Next we were off to Brisbane. The first day we went on a boat trip to Merton Bay to snorkel through the shipwrecks.On the way there we saw a pod of dolphins. 

We had to wear those oversized orange gloves so that we didn't cut ourselves on the wrecks!

The shipwrecks have been purposely put there to create a barrier from the dangerous currents so boats can moor safely. We explored the wrecks and saw many fish. I spotted a stingray on the bottom. Next we got on the boat and had lunch before jumping in the water again to head onto the island...we found many beautiful starfish. 
 

Merton Island is the 3rd largest sand island in the world. On our way back we spotted a manatee eating sea grass and a few turtles. 

We were off to Paola's for Christmas there would be 10 of us there for the festive celebrations.


Joaquín  and I took his parents into Brisbane city for the day:





When arriving back we went to a neighbours house who had decorated their house and garden up...the streets were lined with cars with everybody coming from all over to look at it and wonder around the garden. 





Christmas Eve
Christmas Eve was spent chilling around the house and swimming in the pool. As we were celebrating half a Chilean Christmas and half an Ozzie Christmas we had a Christmas dinner this evening.  In Chile they eat their dinner then wait up until midnight to open all their presents. The "Christmas dinner" was turkey, mash, rice and salad and afterwards we all opened one present before bed as we saved the rest for the Ozzie Christmas. I got a cowboy hat from Santa!


Christmas day

 
Well the children were up and excited to open the rest of their presents...it was a mad session of unwrapping presents. Theu were given out and then paper was flying everywhere! I got many lovely presents including a beautiful necklace and earring set from Coty and Jorge and what I really wanted a headtorch from Joaquín. We spent the day eating, sleeping and swimming then in the evening we put on a film and ate pizza. This was definitely a very different Christmas than I was used to. In the evening after wishing my family a happy Christmas it was time to learn a new card game. Carioca (a Chilean card game) Joaquín helped me for the first 2 rounds then I was on my own but I didn't really need help as I won. I was so far ahead with points that we didn't need to play the last round to determine a winner! I'm not sure Joaquín's parents liked me anymore...maybe it was beginners luck!

Boxing day
This day was a trip to the beach...all 10 of us. It was an hours drive to Mooloolaba on the Sunshine Coast. Everyone went for a swim while I made a sandman. It was off to the surf club for lunch and afterwards a stroll around the shops.

No comments:

Post a Comment