Sunday 3 December 2017

Farm work November - it's not everyday you see tumble-weed roll pass!

Week 6 - week 10

Still worked hard throughout November, here are the things I got up to:

Cutting fruit trees, putting up some netting for the birds to stop nesting on the house, took a drive over to Sandlewood Downs the next property to pick up a car, the farrier came, sorted the kitchen cupboards out, lots of cattle arrived this month.



Another thing that arrived was the new lawn...it was 2 hard days for the men laying all the turf. I helped at points grabbing the rolls and making sure they met nicely and were straight before rolling them out.



One morning Joaquín was out collecting wire from the old fences and lost the side of the ute! After eating lunch we spent the rest of the lunch break searching for it, luckily we found it not far from the dump...Dave never knew it was ever lost in the first place.

Rode Timmy for the first time he gave me a few bucks but luckily I stayed on this one! I've been training up Timmy, getting him calmer for the children to ride. I also made the small yard bigger so the horses and ponies can do a good canter in there.


One morning I had to stop what job I was doing as Dave was trying to get hold of Joaquín he couldn't find him along the fence he sent him to take down and he didn't reply on the radio. I got sent on the search for him, rushed around on the quad and was constantly talking on the radio...as I was just about to give up and go back when Joaquín's voice came over the radio! We found him but along another fence he didn't finish the day before.

Zoomed over to the school one morning to help out...made sandwiches for another school which had come over for the day to help build something and play games with the children.

The car had to go into town for a service so one afternoon I had to pick the boys up in the ute...the seat doesn't move forward so I was on the edge of the seay driving it!

Most weekends we spent our time booking and organising the month of Christmas travels, when Joaquín's parents will be over with us in Australia...many adventures coming up! I cut Joaquín's hair...it was quite a good cut for the first time but I won't be taking up hairdressing as a career!


Went with Joaquín one weekend to do fencing. He owed some hours so was making them up. I sat in the ute and tried to catch up on my blog (didn't do the best job as I'm so behind still). It had been raining the day before with a big storm and only a few times we nearly got bogged. We didn't though because we were good at avoiding them super muddy patches.

One Sunday Joaquín and I went to have a ride when Digby and Claudia were already up and out riding. We stood and watched them...Digby had his first canter on Luna in the small yard on the lunge, he was bouncing around and having a great time smiling all the way around. It was the Claudia's turn she went in on Oman and has her first canter too. I was so proud of her as when I first arrived she was reluctant to even ride without a lead rein. Well the bar was raised for Joaquín...it was his turn to ride and he was expected to have his first canter too. He managed it on Oman and seemed to enjoy it.


Another weekend I made mango jam...we had brought a box from the school for a fundraiser. We had 16 mangos to eat between us before they turnt bad. I decided to try the recipe I got from India to make the jam...it was tasty but didn't quite work out exactly how I wanted it to.

One Saturday we bumped into Melanie and Cyril while doing the weekly shopping. They had invited us over to theirs the next weekend. Where we went over, sat out on the verandah and had burgers and ice-cream. We chatted for so long that we left when the sun had already set.

A few more thunderstorms this month too! We ate by candle light one evening and went to bed early as we couldn't see to do anything.

Digby had a swimming competition against other school in the 'area'. He won 2 races, came 2nd in another 2 and then won the trophy for the 7 year old champion. His photo appeared in the local newspaper.

Once I took Claudia down for a lesson on Oman when I found about 8 cattle in the paddock...so after the lessons we had to muster them out and back into the other paddock. Claudia rode behind them down the fence and I slightly to the side so they didn't run the wrong way. Claudia was so happy and excited that she had done her first "real muster." Claudia had her first lunge lesson on Luna as well this month which she eventually enjoyed!

The flies had come out in there 100's, I counted 32 flies on one arm once and then one evening on my way home I got  chased by about 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment