Sunday 4 December 2016

Week 4 at Sangam 26.11.16 - 03.12.16

Saturday 26th
This was my last weekend in Pune so we had a packed day trying to fit things in. We went to the places best for shopping - MG road and Laxmi road. I finally found the cow statue I wanted. We ate lunch at Ram Krishna a great place with great Indian food, I had Aloo Gobi (potato and cauliflower curry). In the evening as it was Lisa's last evening so we all went out to the Shisha Cafe bar for a jazz festival, some great music was played.


Sunday 27th
Sunday was spent getting lots of forms done, presentations finished and videos filmed. Stacey, Montey and I completed the Sangam treasure hunt and along the way meditated with Buddha. Had another 2 hour dance lesson in the afternoon.


Monday 28th


9th day at site...I had Joselyn come along with me to B.K.S. I first took her on a tour of the place and introduced her to the staff. When the children arrived we made a paper woven poster. This week there are many preparations for the disability day so for the afternoon we watched the children practicing their singing. In the evening Stacy and I climbed the water tower to watch the sunset. It was so beautiful and the bird were tweeting away and flying around us. As it was getting dark it was time to climb down and I started to see the bats flying around, some are so tiny and others are huge!


Tuesday 29th
10th day at site...I had Karlia come along today to visit so again I took her on a tour of the place and introduced her to the staff. We didn't get a chance to do the craft that we had planned because today there was a big dance competition all day. Lots of school had come and it was great to see all the kids enjoying themselves. When they were on stage their disabilities seem to disappear and they put on a great performance. I had yet another dance session before heading out to Kirti's (the yoga teacher) house for dinner. We meet her twin sister and then went to feed the buffalo's and cow.


Wednesday 30th
Up early in the morning for yoga before our last Hindi lesson were we carried on learning about food and how to order in a restaurant. We visited another community partner called Deep Griha society, they work in the community to offer different programmes - medical, dental and nutrition, HIV and Aids support, sponcering a child's education, clothing and health care, skills for the youth and woman to get jobs. I then spent the rest of the day finishing off my presentation for the closing ceremony and drew my star on the wall. These 4 weeks have flown by.


Thursday 1st
11th day at site...today the children were again practicing for the event on Saturday so I helped the teachers make flowers out of ribbon. On returning to Sangam the Christmas decorations were out and then we had a group Christmas photo on the roof.


Friday 2nd


12th day at site...again there were practices going on all day. I spent the morning watching the dancers. Then I helped put up all the flowers on the background of the stage, ready for the next days presentation.


 When returning to Sangam we had our closing ceremony and we had to do our presentations. Emer went first and did a talk with props, Stacey did a slide show with lots of photos. I decided to do mine as a pass the parcel game; I had everybody read out about my time at Sangam each time a layer was unwrapped. At the end of the ceremony we all planted a tree in the garden which they called 'a flowering tree'. I hope one day to come back and see how well it has grown. Because it was our last meal as a 3 at Sangam we got to choose what was for dinner...it was butter chicken with rice and puri with chocolate cake for dessert.



Saturday 3rd
We had to say goodbye to Stacey. Then it was off out with Emer and some of the SV's to watch the presentation at B.K.S. It was lovely to see all the children in their beautiful out fits. There were so many school and parents that came to watch the performances and there was even a bouncy castle and a fire truck. It was then time for me to say goodbye to the teachers and children I had been working with. This was a sad moment and they wanted me to stay and come back in for Monday. I then spent the rest of the day sorting out my things and packing.




No comments:

Post a Comment