Wednesday 14 December 2016

My journey from Goa to Mauritius

What another experience to add to the many I have had...

Firstly I had to say goodbye to some great people at the Jungle, some friends I hope to see again. Then an hour drive to the airport with a fantastic taxi driver.

My flight to Delhi was fine. Get a pre-booked taxi and another couple get in, the taxi driver drops them at their hotel then to mine. Turn up at the hotel for the night and Kritika arrives to take me out for dinner. I also got to meet her mum. It was great to see Kritika again before I left India. Go to settle in for a few hours kip to find the dirty sheets with hair all in the bed. Nice!

Not a good night's sleep with all the shouting in the corridors. Up at 4 am to get to the airport. This is where the issues start...

I get to the airport with plenty of time, line up to check in. I'm not allowed to check in. Firstly a problem with my passport and visa which gets taken away and checked with immigration. It was all fine, I get it back then the next problem was with my flight out of Mauritius...they needed the ticket number, I only had the booking number. I even find the flight online in manage my booking they still don't believe that I have a flight booked, then they asked where my visa was for South Africa, "I don't need one" I replied. Off to the manger I go. He was very kind and sorted out the problem for me and printed out my ticket details. Finally I am allowed to check in with not long to go until the flight was to leave, I had no time to get water or breakfast.


The flight was fine, got some food and sleep. The girl next to me fell asleep on my shoulder.

Arrived in Mauritius

Had an hour wait in the passport control line...nearly to not be allowed into the counrty. Second issue! The man was grilling me about my onwards flights...
"You fly from Cape Town to the UK?" He said.
'No, I'm flying to Hong Kong' I replied.
"Then you have a flight home?" He questioned.
'No I am flying to Australia, I don't have a flight home.'
"You must have a flight home!"
'No I'm staying in Australia.'
"So you are Australian? What is your address there?" Questioning me more.

We just kept going around in circles.

'I have a visa to work there, I don't know where I am staying yet.' I was telling him.
"Where is your visa? It's not in your passport." He said confused.
'I have an e-visa, so it's not in my passport.' I explained.
"Oh"
'I have the visa paperwork, would you like to see?'
"Yes...This is not your visa!" He seemed more confused.
'I know this is the number of the e-visa,' trying hard to explain.

He works in passport control...how does he not understand!!!

Eventually he stamps my passport and let's me in, phew.
Then I was on my way to collect my bag and an hour ride in the taxi to the Royal Palm. It was great to see the Gilbertson's again. The kids have grown since I last saw them.

After unpacking, I watched the kids play in the pool with a blow up doughnut and for dinner I had a Indian curry, just in case I was missing Indian food!



No comments:

Post a Comment