Monday 10 July 2017

Cairns 01.07.17 - 09.07.17 - Part 1

There is so much to say about Cairns that I have to do it in 3 parts.

Day one - 1st July
This was the day I left work, said my goodbyes and headed off on a 2 hour train journey to Sydney. The station is old and has no screens for the train times. I waited and waited ages for the trian; I doubled checked I had the right time, checked the website (that said the train had already left), then I started to panic! But I still just waited and waited, it eventually turned up half an hour late. I arrived in Sydney with 5 bags and met with Susan and Janet to drop a few off before I headed to lunch with Lewis (the Canadian I met in Canberra), it was nice to hear what he had been getting up to in Sydney. It was then time to head to the airport.

Look who I found there!
Joaquín

We had a pleasant flight to Cairns and found our way to the hostel for a good night's rest.

2nd July
After a nice lay in we woke up to rain...we did venture out to the supermarket for some food, grabbed lunch and then in the pouring rain took a walk to the fruit and veg market. On the way there Joaquín slipped and broke his flip-flop (thongs as they like to call them in Australia) so he had to walk bare foot. The market was bustling with many people buying their weekly supplies, towards the end - near closing time sellers were selling cheap...shouting out prices, we got quite a few bargains.


On the way home Joaquín brought some new flip-flops then we watch a programme and cooked up some of our lovely food.

3rd July
It rained and rained all night and all day. We decided to go and see the latest Pirates of the Caribbean film in the cinema. The rain had eased after the film so we walked through the city and to the waterfront and around the peir. Back to the hostel to cook my famous chicken one pot dish! Delicious! This evening we went to check out the night market but on the way there I noticed some birds crossing the road...a car came, they didn't move. I saw a baby chick just frozen still I got a plastic bag to go to pick it up but the parents kept hissing at me.


Eventually the parents moved the other side of the road so I took the opportunity to quickly move the chick to safety. The parents didn't like it and came hissing back but then I looked around a saw an injured chick. A car was coming so I got out the road...phew it missed it! Another 2 cars followed but the chick we not so lucky that time. At least it wasn't in pain anymore and the other birds were out of the road.

The night market was interesting and a lot of massages places, when leaving we got some churros and headed to see Pablo at his hostel to say hi.


No comments:

Post a Comment