Saturday 1 July 2017

June 2017

Well this was my last month at work and what a busy time this was. On the first of the month we had our Frist frost, it can be just like an English winters morning but the difference here is that it warms up quite a bit during the day. In the sun it can be very warm...if the wind is not blowing!

I have been very busy helping get the property set up. Been looking after the horses as normal plus setting up the tack room, gardening (lots and lots of weeding, planting and racking leaves), cleaning, adding to the burn piles, getting rid of cobwebs, putting up fences, tack cleaning.


We have also been out to Shibumi; which is next door, it has arenas and is a livery yard. I also went to the last competition with Fiorella.

I had a few days off in a row so I went into Canberra. This is the capital of Australia. This is a purposely built city there is not much history behind it. The only story I kept hearing was about the competition they had for the design of the city. You can definitely tell it is a purpose built place, but it is lovely. I took a 2 hour train to the city and first took a walk from the station into the city coming across a huge lake. First I went to Aspen Island this has a bell tower on it and while I was eating my lunch it played tunes. 


I then took a walk over to the national Gallery of Australia. This had some interesting art, I especially liked the Aboriginal art section. 


I then ventured up to Parliament House...I had to have my bags scanned before entering (like at the airport) and they took my padlock off me because in the past they have had protesters chain themselves up inside. I went up onto the roof and saw the huge flag and flag pole then joined a quick tour around the building. This told me abut the building itself, how it was built and a few intreresting facts. After the tour had finished in got to sit in and watch government at work in the Senate and House of Representatives. On leaving the building I collected my padlock and headed off to my hostel for the evening. 

The next day, was so foggy and it put a little spanner in what I wanted to do but first I visited the War Memorial.


I was hoping when I was finished the fog would have cleared. When arriving at the memorial some soldiers were practicing a few rituals they performe on special days. I arrived at the front desk at the same time as a man and the staff throught we were together and asked if they could pop our bags on the same shelf! Well we were given a map and started to wonder into the museumn then someone else asks if we wanted to join the tour about the 2nd world war so we both did. It was a very interesting tour, I didn't realise how much Australia was involved and bombed during that time because at school we only really learn about England and Germany. After the tour had finished the fog had still not cleared so I wondered around the rest of the museum. I kept bumping into the man so we got chatting, he is Lewis from Canada. We walked and talked for the rest of the museum. 


When we left the fog had cleared and I could then take the hike up to Ainslie lookout to see the city. Lewis joined me so we took a steep walk up the road to the top. The views were spectacular. 

Monty enjoyed this part of the day

We then found a better path that took us back into the city where we grabbed a snack then it was time for me to catch my trian. Lewis drove me there and when I arrive in get a knock on the door by the guard...saying are you catching the train to Sydney, I replied yes and he was like you better be quick it's leaving in 2 minutes and I was like no I've got 10 mins haven't I...no I didn't I had got the departing time wrong in my head! Lucky I arrived when I did...caught the train back to Bundanoon.

So the 21st of June is the longest day in the UK but the shortest day in Australia.

Near the end of the month Demarkus came back...he had been at a trainers yard for a while, he is still up for sale! It was nice to see him again before I left.

In my last week Virginia, Pete and I went down to Glow Worm Glen. With tourches at the ready we all headed down this path, it went down and down and down...when were we going to reach the cave? It was very dark but eventually we reached the bottom, turned off the tourches and saw a magnificent site. Hundreds and hundreds of glow worms lit up the sides of the rocks. It was so amazing to see, I could of stayed there for hours looking at them but it was time to walk up and up and up the path now!


Animals I have seen this month are;
Foxes
Rabbits
Kangaroos
A bat
Wombats

Rosellas

I had such an amazing time working with Virginia and Pete. I learnt many things about Australia and more things about horses. It was sad to say goodbye but I needed to continue my journey. I wished them both the best of luck with there new adventures in their new home and headed off on the train to Sydney to board another flight.

No comments:

Post a Comment