Wednesday 12 July 2017

Cairns 01.07.17 - 09.07.17 - Part 3

6th July
We wanted to hire a car for the day to visit the waterfalls but because it was the school holidays all cars were booked out! We had a chilled day instead; checked out of the hostel, went to the bank and postoffice and for a stroll around town before heading to a new hostel in Northern beaches (the top of Cairns). Made lunch, played ping pong (I lost...obviously!) and chilled before we headed out into town using the free hostel shuttle to get dinner and then met with Pablo for drinks. Luis (who I also met in Melbourne) landed that evening in Cairns so he came to join us for drinks.

7th July
This was a surprise day for me as I didn't know what Joaquín had planned. Got woken up with breakfast in bed before we had to head out somewhere...we arrived down at the peir. I was left waiting outside while Joaquín sorted something then we sat on a bench for a while before he lead me down the peir and boarded a boat which was taking us to Fitzroy Island. 


I was excited that we were visiting the island but I had no idea of the days adventure. After arriving we collected a snorkel and mask and made camp on a coral beach. 


Joaquín went snorkeling but I found the water quite cold so took me a while to get in. I saw some white fish and Joaquín lost his snorkel...woops! He went and got another one but that let all the water in...it was not his day for snorkels! 


We then went on a glass bottomed boat tour of the reef, we saw about 5 or 6 turtles (one type was a Hawksbill and the other a Green Sea Turtle) and learnt about dying coral. It takes millions of years for the coral to grow but only months for it to die and it is dying at such a quick rate at the moment...it's sad to hear and see! 


Picnic on the beach for lunch then off around the bay in a double kayak, I loved this...I was streeing at the back and gave my arms a good work out. The day has gone by so fast that it was nearly time to hand back our snorkel  and mask in so we tried to go for another snorkel but the rocks and coral were so close to the beach it was hard to swim out...woops, cut my foot on the coral. Handed in the equipment and got my cut looked at. Not the best place or time to get a cut as we wanted to walk to the "Secret Garden". The board said it was a 45 minute return journey...we only had half an hour. So we had to walk quickly (or as quickly as I could go with my cut) it only took us 7 minutes to get there...Australian time! Where did they get 45 minutes from? We made it back for the departing of the boat and headed back to the hostel once back at the peir. Joaquín made a Chilean dish for dinner, it was delicious...I hope he makes it for me again someday. In the evening it was time to meet the boys again for drinks, it was Ricardo's birthday.


8th July
Leisurely got up for my day and Joaquín had no idea what was going to happen. Breakfast was waffles, Nutella and strawberries before heading off on a long day of walking. I took Joaquín to the Royal Botanical Gardens to explore. We saw a river, some lakes and went through a rainforest walk.


Next we came upon a conservatory with many plants and beautiful butterflies.


I then found a spot for our picnic lunch where we ate cheese and crackers...one of Joaquín's favourites! Finished lunch so was then time for more walking with a hike up part of Mount Whitfield. Many, many steps up to the top with amazing views back over the city and to the airport. Walked back down towards the Northern Beaches to have a look at that area for the sunset then back to the hostel to get ready for dinner out at Nandos.

9th July
Our last day in Cairns was spent packing up, checking out and chilling. First we had a strange breakfast finishing everything off we had left (except the garlic!). Then we took a chilled walk all the way along the sea front from the top of Cairns into the city ending up at the Lagoon. The weather was perfect and many people were out sunbathing, we chilled on the grass and met up with the boys and girls...it went by fast and we were soon saying our goodbyes.


Had lunch before we headed to the airport. It was sad to be leaving Cairns as we had such a great time there and the weather was so, so nice. Caught the flight to Melbourne where it was super cold in comparison; took the SkyBus into the city before I could check into my hostel and get tucked up in bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment