Tuesday 30 January 2018

New Zealand - Auckland

Well it was finally time to leave Australia and head to New Zealand. I made my way to the airport and said my goodbyes to Joaquín...I was leaving him behind in Sydney. The wait for the plane was so boring and felt very long but my flight was called and I was seated and ready to go. Once I had arrived in Auckland I made my way to my hostel for the week and then went on the search for some food. 


I got chatting to some others in the hostel, including Mike and Deepu I was in a room with 7 others which had no windows, so who knew what time of day it was. 

My first day was spent researching about what bank account to open and which phone networks were good. On deciding to go with 2degrees, I took a stroll into the city and got a SIM card...guess what??? It doesn't work in my phone as it's locked. GREAT! I even checked my phone would work in NZ first! So I spent the rest of the day trying to get my phone unlocked. Luckily for me Joaquín was able to help and go into the shop in Australia and got them to sort it all out. Some good news for the day was that I managed to speak with a lady, Melisa, about a job down in the South Island and I was offered the position. This was advertised as an au pair/retail assistent/farm worker. I was looking forward to seeing what this job entailed. It was time to book a flight to Blenheim.

As my job was now sorted I had the rest of the week to enjoy and explore Auckland. First it was time to open a bank account which was very easy but I had to travel to a branch out of the city as the ones in the city were fully booked for the week. It costed me $5.50 for a single fair so I decided to walk back to the city viva the shopping centre. Found a lovely walk through the trees. I was walking for a total of 3 hours and was quite tired once I had reached the hostel. 


One day, Mike and I went for a "half an hour" walk to Mission Bay - after an hour and a half we finally reached our destination. It was a lovely walk round the cost seeing the views of the city and chatting about life. We were hungry and thirsty when we arrived to Mission Bay so Mike treated me to pizza at Sal's. This was a great place for pizza so if you get a chance to go, go! Well it was definitely a bus journey back to the city. 


The international buskers festival was in town so one afternoon a few of us from the hostel took a wonder around the city finding a few performers on the street we grabbed some food and drinks and made our way back to the hostel. We happened to bump into the night market on the way back which really wasn't great but there were lots of food stalls.
 

The next day Michelle and I headed back into the city, sorted something out with her bank account and then went on the search for more street performers and ice cream. Once back at the hostel it was time for me to pack my things ready for my flight in the morning. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment