Tuesday 2 May 2017

April 2017

This month was supposed to be my last working with the horses but because of the move I was asked to stay on a bit longer. Pete and Virginia have been taking truck loads of their belongings to the new home already as there is so much to move!

April has been full of more competitions and shows, the first one being EquiFest where Fiorella was performing 2 tests. This show was a very busy with lots going on; we had hacks, dressage and jumping. Virginia and I went back the next day to watch some more jumping and have a nose around the stalls


Next show was the Grand National for hacking horses...this one we just went to watch one evening. So leaving the horses behind we took a trip in the car we arrive at the ticket gate, the lady takes a look in the car and said, "Are we all about the age of 60?" Virginia replied, "Yep, yes we are."
I just sat back in shock...that is the first time someone has ever said I look older than I actually am! Off with my O.A.P ticket to watch the classes, it was a great evening.


The biggest show I went to was the Sydney Royal Easter Show...this is a big agricultural show on for about 2 weeks. I went on my day off and my ticket included my travel that day too. I saw sooo much...flowers, photos, paintings, arts and crafts.

(Monty met some friends)

Cakes, wood cutting,  lots of trade stalls, the food hall, dogs, fair rides, chickens, sheep and an auction bidding on wool.

I followed this animal walk and ended up in the farmyard! Well this was an experience...it was chaos. You had goats, sheep, chickens, rabbits, children and adults running around...plus ducklings, chicks, mice, donkeys and ponies to look at, very noisy! I didn't spend long in there.

The cutest was seeing the piglets.

For the most part of the day I watched the horses.


The next show was for Fiorella and Des, this was a different experience taking the two of them! They had to go where the other was going and kept whining to one another. Fiorella trod on my foot and gave me a big bruise because she could not keep still when waiting for Des to do his test.

The last show was another big one for the dressage world. The Sydney CDI, Des was the only one competing; a few days before we had been down to Horse World (the indoor arenas) to practice the tests. Day of the first test of we drove to Horsley Park and competed in the Grand Prix event and came 10th place. Next day was an early start, waking at 5am to get Des ready and off to the show for the Advance tests. Des did 2 of them so I had a little time to watch some others too that day. I thought he did well but we had to wait and see the results and if we got a place for the Advance Freestyle for the next day. Unfortunately he didn't get a place but we recieved a phone call to say some had dropped out so we had a slot but we got the phone call too late to get there. Instead we went along in the evening and watched the intermediate Freestyle. It was an enjoyable evening but in my opinion some riders need lessons in musicality (I'm available for hire).

This month has also been very focused on the move, more packing and fixing up things. I've been painting the postbox, chest and table. As the property is to exchange before the next house is ready I will be moving next door with the horses...one day we had to sort the horses stables and the sawdust man (Joe) came; that was a hard day on the arms, shovelling it into the wheelbarrow. I also got to have a lovely ride on Demarkus this month. He is actually up for sale; we had some people come to look at him but they didn't want to have him, so we get to keep him a little longer.

We have had some more spectacular thunderstorms. One day at 5:30 it came over so dark all of a sudden and the storm was right overhead. I couldn't not watch it!
We have had some really cold and crisp days...ones that have reminded me of Autumn in England. On my days off this month apart from going to the Easter show I have been to Manly Beach. Catching the ferry over...it was a beautiful day to lay in the sun and chill out, but some people near me went to swim in the sea leaving there stuff behind...but it's not people you have to worry about its the seagulls. They swarmed over and got into their food.


Another day I had a very relaxing time at the spa and a massage, its just what I needed. I also visited Susannah's place this is a museum of 4 terrace houses built in 1844 and is preserved to show different time periods and the stories of people that lived there.

Some more animals I've spotted this month:
Stick insect
Hare
Rabbit
Red back spider

No comments:

Post a Comment