Wednesday 10 May 2017

Alice Springs and Uluru

Landing in Alice Springs and after checking in Kate and I waited for Olivia to arrive. I was so nice to see Liv again...we were going to have the best of time this weekend! We all went out for dinner and found a pub after grabbing a few snacks from the shops. Just as we were about to order...oh no!!! Olivia had lost her phone...we went back to the shop but it wasn't there, I asked if she had even brought it out with her?! We took a look on phone finder and there it was...Liv went back to the hostel and it was under her pillow. We had such a grate chat over dinner and caught up on things. Bed time ready for our 5am wake up.

Day 1
It was still dark when we woke. We waited for our tour bus to pick us up and when the bus was full we were off on our adventures. Our tour guide introduced himself as Andrew and for the first few hours I think the whole bus slept. After a nap I had time to take in the view of a straight road that just went on and on forever. I was surprised by how many trees and bushes are actually in the outback and the ground is so red! 


Lunch was rolls on the bus before arriving at King's Canyon. Here we took a 3 hour hike the first bit was the hardest, climbing up many steps. 


I learnt something on this hike: a canyon is only one way in and out, as it goes into a point and a gorge you can walk through...and with that fact - the Grand Canyon is actually a gorge, so why do they call it a Canyon?

We still had not had a group introduction by this point but I did start a conversation with Guido (aka - David) from Amsterdam. I was interested in what he had been upto in Australia. After a wonderful hike we found the last bathrooms we would see for the night and headed to our campsite. On the way we had to collect firewood...Olivia and I obviously found the best wood! Mind you this was a fallen tree but by the time we got it out and dragged it to the bus it was already loaded and tied up. The only thing I took from that was a splinter. We finally arrived at our campsite for the night which was on a property the same size as Belgium! It's so hard to get your head around how big Australia actually is.

It was straight out of the bus and on with the cooking...the French in the group just stood around while Olivia and I got stuck into the cooking - I cut the onions. 


We had chillie with pasta and veg. We also got to try an Australian bread cooked on the fire called 'damper'. It was all very delicious, I ate my whole plate up. After dinner we rolled our swags out around the fire. Swags are a cavans cocoon with a thin mattress inside which you pop your sleeping bag in.


Made another friend around the fire this was Katy from England. As we still didn't do a group introduction...our tour guide just was not interested. It was time to start settling in for the night. The toilet was a drop toilet behind some corrugated iron. I found the first night a bit uncomfortable and had freezing cold feet!

Day 2
Laying there in the early hours of the morning after the moon had set and looking up at the stars was so amazing. I saw so many shooting stars. Packed up in the dark and got breakfast as the sun was coming up. Jumped back in the bus and made our way over to Kata Tjuta for an hours hike. 


Before we started the hike Andrew explained to us how these rocks had formed millions of years ago when India came crashing into Australia! This explains  why the sediment lines are at a 90° angle on Uluru (formally known as Aires Rock). With the view of Uluru on the horizon we grabbed lunch before making our way to the Aboriginal Culture Centre to learn more about the Aboriginal way of life and why the land and Uluru is important to them and their rituals. Andrew then took us to a waterhole at Uluru, he told us an Aboriginal story and showed us some cave paintings. 


Some of these paintings had worn away or where no longer there because in the past people would throw water on them to bring out the colours so they would get a better photo...now we can't enjoy them! Time to catch the sunset over Uluru, we park up started dinner; I was in charge of cutting onions again! It was such a beautiful sight - the rock became so red. 



Monty enjoyed watching too. After sunset we headed back to camp. This night we stayed at a different site which had flushing toilets. Swags out, fire burning and songs playing - a good night. Because I didn't want cold feet again I put and extra layer on, tights. Eventually we settled down in our swags - I had a much comfier night. I had left some rubbish by my head that I was going to pack away in the morning but I heard it move and got scared that dingos where by my head  eating it but I take a peek and saw this pair of legs that belonged to Olivia...phew! Olivia went to the toilet and I watched the stars. On her return and trying to get back in her swag she lost her balance and landed on top of me, I burst out laughing and couldn't stop...I ended up waking up the whole camp...woops! It was very funny though! I am still laughing about it now.

Day 3
Up before sunrise again, packed up everything quickly and went back to the same spot as sunset to watch the sunrise.


As the sun was coming up over the horizon we enjoyed breakfast. After taking some amazing photos we went off to Uluru for a base walk, this went all the way around Uluru and was 11 km around. The 4 of us (Olivia, Kate, Katy and I) enjoyed this 2 and a half hour walk seeing Uluru up close.


 Some parts on the way around were not to be photographed because of it being sacred.
After finishing this hike it was time to board the bus, drop some people off at the airport and then make the journey back to Alice Springs. This was a long journey, had some lunch on the way back but at one point I thought we wouldn't make it! The bus was over heating but after giving it a pit stop we made it just in time to check in and finally have a shower after 3 days! Some of us were smelly after all the sweating and hiking in the heat. We got ourselves ready and met up at the Rock pub with Andrew and some of the others in the group for a meal and drinks.

It was such a shame that I got speaking to some of the group on the last night but they also had the same thought about not having a group introduction...which would of made the weekend even more enjoyable because we would of all made many more friends. The food was good and I enjoyed the drinks but it was time to hit the pillow.

Day 4
This was a sad day because I had to say goodbye to Olivia not knowing when I will get to see her again! I do love Olivia, she is such a lovely person and a great friend...I will miss you!

This was mainly a travelling day; catching a flight back with Kate to Melbourne then taking the SkyBus back into the city and making our way to Kate's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment