Friday 12 May 2017

Melbourne - Part 2 - 08.05.17 - 11.05.17

8th May
Arrived back in Melbourne from Alice Springs...I went back to Kate's and saw the boys (Lofty and Reggie). We forgot all about swimming so it was a mad dash out the door for swimming lessons. After swimming it was homework time then monopoly time but it was a short game as it was bed time for the boys and I had to sort my bags out. Made my way to the hostel and had a great nights sleep.

9th May
The next morning Kate picks me up with Reggie and we head to St Kilda's beach for a stroll along the promenade and a dip in the sea (only ankle deep...it's definitely not warm enough for a swim).


 After we head down to Brighton (yes, again I am still in Australia). This beach had about 100 beach huts lined all along it, beautifully and individually painted.



After a great day at the beach I got ready for a meal out with Joaquín...I was shocked to learn last week that he has never eaten Indian food so I took him for Indian. We had Aloo Gobi, butter chicken, paratha (a bread) and rice. I think he liked it, I know I did. After dinner we went for a drink and we chatted for hours before I had to get the tram back to the hostel.

10th May
This was quite a packed day - first I was off on the Neighbours tour, Kate and I had a great tour guide - Natalie. She was great, talked all the way to "Ramsey Street" about the programme and characters. 



I learnt that it is a real street that people actually live on, not a set...they have around the clock security. The residents have to keep their blinds down all the time so it looks the same when they film there. They also have to apply if they want to change anything about there house/garden so that it can be written into the script. We then took a drive to the studio and as we arrived we passed some filming - I won't say what as I don't want to give it away to those Neighbours fans reading this as it will take 3 months for that to be aired. I also got to meet Ben Nicholas who played Stingray, he even signed my card for me and my mum. 


On returning Kate and I went to Ashleigh's (another friend from the India tour) and went out for pizza. It was great to see her again and catch up. Kate and I then went to 'Naked for Satan', a bar with an amazing view of the city, we watched the sun set then the moonrise. It was free drink night at the Turf (another bar) so off I went with Kate, Kelly and some guys from the hostel...we drank, played pool and danced. Wanting an earlier night we all left, Joaquín walked me to the tram stop, missed the first one and waiting and waiting for the next one when a queue formed in front of me...there was an accident on the tracks and no trams could go anywhere...ended up getting a taxi, so much for an early night when I get to bed at 2am!

11th May
Phillip Island trip...another day tour today. I got picked up from my hostel, the last one to board the bus. There was 6 others on the tour some from the UK the others from Singapore. Our first stop was Brighton beach to see the huts and this time I learnt that the last one to be sold went for over $300,000 - they have no electricity and you can't stay in them over night. The next stop was to look out over the peninsula but it was quite a foggy day so we couldn't see far, it was then off to lunch. We stopped off at a winery called the Green Olive, the food was delicious. 

I had a glass of wine with bread, crackers, cheese, hummus, meatballs and a rice salad. Our next stop on the tour was Moonlit Sanctuary which run conservation programmes for endangered Australian animals. After wondering around we hopped back on the bus for the main and best bit of the tour...Phillip Island for the penguins. First we stopped at a beach to stretch our legs. Then penguin time...we sat on a platform above the beach and as the sun was setting the penguins started to come in from the sea, we watched groups of them waddle up the beach and went back to their homes and others that didn't go out that day. 

Me with my tour group.


It was amazing to hear the noise they made when they were calling and greeting each other.  After the full moon had risen (another spectacular sight) it was time to head back to the hostel. What a fun day out this has been and an early night was needed for the super exciting weekend ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment