Monday 31 October 2016

Udaipur 29.10.16 - 31.10.16

29th
We caught a train from Pushkar to Udaipur sitting with the locals. It was cramped, hot and the seats were uncomfortable but we played games and passed the time. Udaipur is the cleanest city in India, I thought because it was Diwali that the streets had been cleaned and decorated but the streets are always clean.
In the evening we took a boat out on Pichola Lake and Dino told us the story of Diwali before we went for dinner.



30th
HAPPY DIWALI
We started off the day by going for breakfast and then Dino took us to show us some miniature paintings, they are famous for this in the area. I then took an art class with Jess, Olivia, Alex, Amber and Mackenzie, we learnt how to draw and paint a peacock. We added in very fine details, the first brush we used was made from camel eyelashes and the  very thin brush for detail was made of chipmunk tail fur. I also learnt that they use natural dyes for the paints most of them made from stones but white is from mother of pearl and yellow is made from cows urine. My lunch today got stuck in a traffic jam; the waiter came to apologise  that my food was late because they were waiting for the paneer to arrive! After I had more mehendi done.
In the evening we went to a firework market to buy fireworks for Diwali.  Then off to Dino's second cousins house (a prince for a Kingdom in Rajasthan) for a Diwali pray then dinner and fireworks. This was my favourite evening so far...there was so much laughter from all, I even got to light a firework! We got sparklers and wrote #yolo and Diwali with them, I got some great photos.
#bestDiwaliever!



31st
We had a free day to explore so I went to a cooking class and learnt how to cook masala chai, samosas, dal fry, palak paneer, zeera rice, vegetables and chapatti. Afterwards we go to eat it for lunch, tasty! Kate and I went for a walk over the lake through the town then the park before we went out to a local show. This show had musicians, 4 different dance forms and a puppet show. It was so colourful and interesting to see the dances , I especially liked the dance where they were playing bells on different parts of their bodies with the movements.


No comments:

Post a Comment