Tuesday 17 January 2017

Hong Kong, week 1 - 10.01.17 - 15.01.17

Tuesday 10th
A 6 hours time difference and lack of sleep on the plane ment that I slept most of the morning. Then spent the rest of the day planning what I should do in Hong Kong taking on board that I want a more relaxing time here and I don't want to pack my days out. Leaving the apartment for the first time I went and met Rachael and her friend, Morgan, for dinner. Before heading back to bed I went and got some shopping for a few bits of food. Food prices are so expensive...a big block of cheese was the equivalent to about £10.

Wednesday 11th
Rachael had the day off so we got up and took the bus upto the peak. Upon reaching the top we went into the trick eye museum...we had a lot of fun taking many many photos of the paintings that were optical illusions. 





We took a walk around the peak but the views were nonexistent as it was so cloudy.

There is a tram up and down the peak so we took it down and walked through Hong Kong park which also has an aviary that we took a wonder through.



Grabbed a bite to eat before getting on the MTR (their underground service) where we met with Jake to take a trip to Stanley Market.


It was a night spent at the races...we got some mulled wine, watched some races, put on a few bets - won some money back on one race.


Rachael was feeling tired so we started to head back when she decided to take a detour to show me the local bars...we ended up in one, Carnegies, giving out free champagne to ladies so we ended up there until late! So much for an early night.

Thursday 12th
Today I ventured out to visit some places on my list. I caught the bus into Central tried to follow my directions and ended up a little lost until I found Hollywood Park and found my way to Man Mo Temple. This is one of the oldest temples in China but going inside was like being in a smokehouse with all the incense being burnt. 

I then took the street escalators and took them all the way to the top. It was a very strange to be going up escalators outside. 


I found my way down to the zoological park and saw many animals including flamingos, lemurs, tortoises and above all my favourite monkeys - I could watch them for hours. I walked down next to the tram and ended back up in Hong Kong park where my feet started hurting so I caught the bus back.


Friday 13th
The weather was not great today and rained for most of it so I decided to go to a Tim Burton exhibition. It was very interesting; showing all his different works - sketches, paintings,  drafts, modules, stories and films he has created over his life. During the evening Rachael and I watched a film Dark Shadows (this is a Tim Burton film too - in keeping get with the theme of the day).


Saturday 14th
Met with Boris today who took me to see Tian Tan Buddha also known as Big Buddha. We caught the ferry over to Lautau Island. Arriving at Big Buddha took a walk up 268 steps to join him in the clouds. 


I didn't think much to him...he is not very old, only completed in 1993. It is to symbolise harmony between man and nature. I felt like it was only there as a tourist attraction - there was even a "fake" village. However to see Po Lin Monastery opposite the statue was lovely. Buddhists were praying and the building was beautiful. After taking the ferry back Boris and I went for a drink before I had to rush back and get ready to met Racheal from work to go for a drink. We went into a very small cocktail bar where we got a chocolate coated glass with our cocktails. We were having a lovely chat when a group of 3 guys walk in...that was it, one quite drink turned out to be a night out! Brian, Kevin and Michael convinced us to join them for the night so we ended up going to a few top clubs. I really wasn't dressed for going out! It was a fun night but bed was calling us at 2am seen as Rachael still had to get up for work.

Sunday 15th
Had an unexpected day...Brian invited me to brunch. I met him at Potato Head for a very long brunch with drinks, we got chatting to the bar man who decided that he loved us "pretty people" (he called us) and took us behind the scenes to the secret, privert room. It had turntables and hundreds of records along one wall, I think it would be a great place for a party.  After finishing brunch we took a taxi to Ozone - a high bar with a view of the city, although the view was not great as it was yet again a very cloudy day. 


At the bar we got chatting to two English ladies - one visiting and the other living in Hong Kong, they were lovely to chat to. We finished up our drinks and grabbed some food. So I spent the whole day eating and drinking! That is how a Sunday is supposed to be spent in Hong Kong; it's very popular with its all day which turn into night brunches!

No comments:

Post a Comment