Sunday 22 January 2017

Hong Kong, week 2 - 16.01.17 - 21.01.17

Monday 16th
I took a wonder around the neighbourhood then spent the afternoon visiting the Hong Kong History Museum and some markets. The History Museum was interesting; I learnt about how Hong Kong was formed and a few rituals/traditions they celebrate. The markets were strange, first I went to the bird market. This made me sad, they had so many birds in tiny cages and the birds were not behaving normal...I just wanted to set them all free. Next was the flower market this was so big, full of colour and smelt wonderful. I have never seen so many orchids in one place and in so many different colours. 



Off down the road was the fish market, again this made me a little sad...many fish were just hanging in bags that were too small and they couldn't move around...I couldn't even take a photo of it, it amazed me and shocked me all at the same time. Temple market was my next stop, a very long market that was just selling lots of the same things...bags, statues, USB sticks, jewellery and much more! 

After all that walking my feet were starting to hurt so heading back using the MTR but as I left the station I took a wrong turn and got a little lost again but it was OK found my way home with a 30 minute detour. Grabbed some dinner then went out to meet Luke for one quick drink (non-alcoholic) we had a great time chatting away and I lost track of the time. It wasn't too late but I was so tired after the walking my bed was calling me.

Tuesday 17th
Rushing out the door this morning...Rachael and I made our way to Ocean Park where we also met Jake. 


Ocean Park has many rides and attractions. We went into different enclosures and saw pandas, penguins, many fish, sharks, dolphins and many more animals. I also went on quite a few rides and roller coasters. Jake is not one for rides so was the official bag holder! On our way home we did a spot of shopping and took a walk through Tamar Park. In the evening Rachael and I met up with some of her friends, Rebecca and Kate, we went for a meal and drinks where I got a huge hamburger!  To get there we took the tram.


Afterwards we carried on drinking. Here in Hong Kong everybody seems to drink a lot...it is the most I have drank since leaving the UK in a short space of time.

Wednesday 18th
Hike day...today I met up with a group of hikers in Kowloon. We took a hike through some hills on a man made path. This path was made by villagers a long time ago to connect them together; all the villages through the hills. I can just imagine them lugging these huge stones around (with the help of cattle). 


It was a beautiful hike we pasted temples, derelict houses, very small villages and some streams in amongst lush trees.


I got chatting to John who took on to role as photographer for the hike...snapping away at everything. The weather was OK, not too hot but very humid and as we got to the top we seemed to be in the clouds and the view was not the best (not having a great time with all these amazing views Hong Kong is supposed to offer, it's been so cloudy since I've been here). As we were walking down a minibus came by and most of the hikers got in. I decide to keep walking and then got chatting to John, Jonny and Yin (all locals). They invited me to eat lunch with them so we went for noodles and dim sum, for desert I had this strange jelly. 


After getting home and taking a nap it was off out again. I was getting ready for race night again but there was a change of plan as race night was not on. We met Rebecca again and Stef for drinks at a rooftop bar. It was to nice to see the lights of the city.

Thursday 19th
I decided to have a super chilled day and sort some things out, pack a little and look for a job in Australia. I applied for a few...let's see what happens! For the evening I went to an improvisation comedy show with Rachael and Jake...I did get lost on the way there went a few streets to high up the hill. 


After finding my way I found the show interesting in how is was delivered but I did giggle a few times so it was a success. Food time! We went for Chinese and duck pancakes were on the menu.

Friday 20th
As this was my last full day in Hong Kong I wanted to tick a few more things off my list. I headed to the 10,000 Buddha Temple, I recommend a visit if your in Hong Kong...the staircase to the top was laden with shining golden Buddha statues. 


Upon reaching most of the way up I came across one big shrine it was covered from floor to ceiling with miniature statues. I then made my way to the top of the hill where there were more statues and shrines. It was such a pleasant day the sun was shining which made the statues glimmer even more. 


As the sun was shining I decided to go and take a walk around the peak again, this time I got to see the view. I caught the bus to the top, on board I made some friends Victor and Radolfo they had not been to the peak before so I stuck with them and became their tour guide.


We got to watch the sunset and see the view change from day to night. As it got darker and darker the lights from the buildings came on one by one and lit up the city.



The queue down for the tram, the bus and taxi was so long we decided to walk down. It was a steep decline so we ended up starting to run. It was a night in with a take away and a horror film for Racheal and I.

Saturday 21st



Before heading to the airport to catch my flight Racheal and I spent the day together hiking Dragons Back, it was lovely to see another part of Hong Kong the trail was a little crowded but we powered through then headed off for a late lunch to fill me up before flying. Time to board my flight to Perth - Australia but first a transfer in Singapore.

Thank you Rachael for letting me stay...It was great to see you and to explore where you live.


No comments:

Post a Comment